Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?

ChaosLex

Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Will Prince Fielder be worth whatever it costs to bring him here?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted "No" because I don't Fielder will end being worth the contract he is given by any team, but the nature of the business is that he will get more than he is worth regardless. Wouldn't mind seeing him mashing in an O's uniform for a few years, but also don't want to be in a situation where we cannot spend properly in future years because of an over-burdened contract.

Another fat, slow guy that is a bad fielder ??? No thanks. Even if he did hit 44 home runs. Derek Lee is 6 '6", and he is a very good fielder. Fielder 5'11, 280 pounds, and not a good fielder. In addition to being more than half a foot shorter than Lee (6' 6" to 5' 11"), Fielder weighs 280 pounds, so his vertical leap does not exactly evoke memories of David Thompson. Currently, many of us Oriole fans are ready to throw objects through our TV sets/computers when our defense screws up crucial play(s), whether it be Luke Scott, Mark Reynolds, Ryan Adams or Brandon Snyder for the brief time that they were here, etc. With Fielder playing first base, objects would likely start actually going through the sets (as opposed to just feeling like throwing something through the set).

With so many other holes right now, why in the world would we go out of our way to spend tens of millions for 6/7 years to a fat guy who can't field and is already getting up there in age? This has horrible idea written all over it.

Unless we can get him for a 5/100 contract (HA HA HA HA), this would be a TERRIBLE move.

Man I wish this was a public poll, because I am fairly certain who voted "yes" here!

I was able to see it earlier. If you log out and check results it might work.

FWIW, Trea has yet to make his official tally.... so you can add a 6th in the yes column for him.

Definitely not!! Fielder would only be one - very expensive - part of a larger puzzle, and IMO, isn't the piece that completes the picture. With Boras as his agent, and at age 28 next year, Fielder will be asking for at least a 10/200 contract, and probably more. And he will likely be a productive hitter for less than half that contract. Plus, such a contract means that a few years down the road, they likely won't have the money necessary to sign the likes of Arrieta, Britton, and Matusz to extended contracts.

Very few free agents are "worth" their contract in the statistical sense.

That really has nothing to do with whether the Orioles should sign him or not. They desperately need a power bat at first base (or anywhere else, for that matter). I don't see any other place where'd it'd come from, unless they're able to get Pujols for the shortish term (which they won't), or they want to wait it out a few years and try to go after a guy like Votto.

The bottom line for me is: If Fielder's contract would keep them from doing something else to improve the organization due to financial concerns, then he's not worth it. If it wouldn't have an impact on other potential moves, then who cares if he lives up to some statistical measure of what his contract should be? He'd be a significant improvement.

Archived